- PhentermineLearn more about phentermine and how to get the most from your weight loss journey.
- ResourcesAdditional information and tools to help you make the most of your effort.
- AlternativesLearn more about the most popular weight loss medications and science-backed supplements
Everything You Need to Know About the Beach Body Diet Plan
Published on January 26, 2022 and last updated for accuracy on February 6, 2022
What Is Beachbody’s 21-Day Fix Program?
According to experts, there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all method to living a healthy lifestyle. Individualized eating programs that address the entire person are necessary for success. Consult your healthcare professional or a qualified dietitian before beginning a new food plan, especially if you have an underlying health issue.
The Beachbody 21-Day Fix is a diet and fitness regimen that claims to help you lose up to 15 pounds in just 21 days. Whole foods are prioritized over unprocessed items in the diet plan. On the other hand, some folks may find that they aren’t obtaining enough daily calories to convert to workout energy.
The diet also recommends the daily aerobic exercise of 30 minutes, beneficial for weight loss and heart health.
What Can You Consume During The Program?
The 21-Day Fix eating plan calls for three meals and three snacks every day, with the number of portions decided by your daily calorie requirements. However, because the portion sizes are so modest, some people may not get enough daily calories, even if they just follow the plan for 21 days.
Fruits and vegetables as they are a good source of vitamins and minerals
The 21-Day Fix, like all Beachbody programs, encourages you to consume many whole fruits and veggies. You’ll consume three to six servings of veggies and two to four portions of fruit every day, depending on your calorie intake. One cup is one serving.
Proteins that are low in fat
Lean proteins are recommended in the 21-Day Fix diet plan. Each day, you’ll consume four to six portions. 3/4 cup is per serving size.
- Chicken breast
- Greek yogurt
- Sirloin steak
Carbohydrates with a complex structure
The grain portion size is small (1/2 cup), and the plan recommends eating two to four servings each day, depending on your calorie intake. You can replace one of these carb portions with a treat like dark chocolate or dried fruit three times each week.
- Brown rice
- Legumes such as peas and lentils
- Starchy vegetables, such as potatoes and sweet potatoes
Fats that are good for you
The serving size is 1/3 cup, and the plan limits this group to one serving each day, regardless of calorie target. Nut butter and oils in two to six teaspoons per day are also permitted. All calorie levels are allowed one 2-tablespoon portion of salad dressing. Salad dressing recipes that match the 21-Day Fix’s criteria are included in the plan.
- Nut butter
- Salad dressing
What You Shouldn’t Eat While On The Program
You should avoid things considered “whole foods” while on the 21-Day Fix. Here are examples:
- White bread
- White pasta
Sweeteners and sugars
- Baked goods
- Artificial sweeteners
Foods that have been processed or fried
- Deli meat
- Packaged snacks
- Hot dogs
- Potato chips
- Deep-fried foods
Beachbody 21-Day Fix Preparation & Tips
The 21-Day Fix eating plan offers calorie recommendations ranging from 1,200 to 2,300 per day. According to Beachbody, if your calculations suggest that you require fewer than 1,200 calories per day, round up (and consume 1,200 calories per day); if your estimates indicate that you need more than 2,300 calories per day, round down.
Each Beachbody program takes a somewhat different approach to nutrition, but most of them, including the 21-Day Fix, follow a 40/30/30 strategy. This means you’re getting 40% of your calories from carbohydrates, 30% from protein, and 30% from fat.
On the 21-Day Fix, participants calculate their daily calorie needs based on their current weight and a Beachbody-supplied formula. The amount of servings to consume from the color-coded portion-control containers are then determined by this calorie objective.
Each brightly colored, reusable container is meant to help you consume the proper quantity of varied foods at meals to develop healthy eating habits that will help you maintain your weight in the long run. There are also grocery shopping instructions and meal planning printables available. However, keep in mind that the approach (like any good eating diet) will take a regular time commitment to function.
The Shakeology shakes from Beachbody are not essential for the program, but they are highly marketed. It’s likely to be more expensive than producing your protein shakes at home. They’re also quite pricey. You’ll have to buy the shakes in bulk (a carton of 24 packets is the cheapest amount offered), and you’ll have to pay up to $129.95.
You can alter the 21-Day Fix eating plan to match your nutritional demands if gluten-free or vegetarian. Gluten-free and meat-free foods are both recommended.
The 21-Day Fix includes an exercise program as well. There are six 30-minute workouts in total. Every day, you’ll complete at least one.
Suppose you already know you may need to follow a specific diet. In that case, this program may not be the ideal fit for you because you will not receive professional or specialized nutritional advice. Similarly, suppose you have an injury or medical condition requiring movement modification. In that case, you may benefit from working with a competent personal trainer or coach who can safely manage your exercise program.
Advantages of the 21-Day Fix
Although the before and after photographs are impressive, does the Beachbody 21-Day Fix work? Although the diet plan promotes a healthy lifestyle and long-term healthy behaviors such as portion control, it is not a successful technique for long-term weight loss.
- Whole foods: During the 21-Day Fix, participants are encouraged to eat whole foods and avoid processed meals. This is a healthy weight-loss and health strategy since it promotes consuming foods high in nutrients and fiber while being low in calories, added sugar, and salt.
- Balanced nutrition: The 21-Day Fix eating plan does not restrict any particular group of nutritious foods, and it aims for a healthy mix of carbohydrates, protein, and fat.
- Portion-control container kit: The Beachbody portion-control container kit is a sensible system for people who want to lose weight. Many people like the program because they don’t have to count calories to use it (although the system is based on reaching programmed calorie targets).
- Proper nutrition paired with regular physical activity remains the gold standard not only for weight management but also for the prevention of chronic disease as we age, according to research. Workouts included: Unlike many diets, the 21-Day Fix consists of a series of activities that you can do in conjunction with the diet. This could assist those looking for long-term weight loss to begin new, healthy exercise routines that they can maintain.
The 21-Day Fix’s Drawbacks
Despite these advantages, experts have reservations about Beachbody in general and this particular program. There are no known health dangers linked with the Beachbody 21-Day Fix, but it does have a few disadvantages.
- Calorie restriction: The 21-Day Fix’s calorie goal-setting algorithm might result in a daily calorie count of fewer than 1,500 calories. This would not be enough calories for energy and health for many people, especially when regular workouts are taken into account.
- Short-term solution: Beachbody’s 21-Day Fix promises speedy results, but the program is only designed to last three weeks. People will most likely need to avoid eating out during this time and schedule at least 30 minutes of exercise each day. If you return to your old behaviors and portion sizes after 21 days, you may regain the weight you lost.
- Expensive: The portion control containers, fitness DVDs, and meal plan, as well as other resources and information, are included in the $60 21-Day Fix kit. Purchasing complete, unprocessed foods, on the other hand, can be costly. You may also persuade you to buy more Beachbody items, such as shake mixes.
- Multi-level marketing: The Beachbody system is built on peer support and recruiting. However, some industry experts have criticized the company for marketing “coaching services” by sales agents with no exercise or nutrition credentials who get a commission when they sell its products because peer support is related to financial compensation.
- Can cause nutrient deficiency: Calorie restriction can cause nutrient deficiency, leading to weariness.
Other research has found that calorie restriction can reduce the body’s metabolism for an extended time. In certain situations, elderly persons showed decreased bone density and muscle mass. However, the long-term effects of calorie restriction in humans are still a little of a mystery.
Is The Beachbody’s 21-Day Fix a Good Option for You?
For weight loss, the USDA recommends a daily calorie intake of 1,600 to 2,000 calories, depending on age, gender, weight, and exercise level. However, the calorie-target equation used by the 21-Day Fix does not take into account your age, gender, or weight, so the quantity they prescribe may be incorrect for you.
This tool, which does include these variables, might be more helpful. Nutritionists still recommend calorie counting for successful weight loss and long-term weight management.
The 21-Day Fix recommends a well-balanced diet of protein, fruits, vegetables, grains, and dairy, all of which should be consumed in small portions. Though this is in keeping with USDA recommendations for mixing all of these items on your plate, it is not a long-term weight-loss option.
What to Look for When Choosing a Beachbody Nutrition Plan
They’re made to fit with any workout program you’re using, so if you’re following one, follow the eating plan provided in the book. Are you doing the 21 Day Fix, for example? Follow the Eating Plan for the 21-Day Fix. Done!
What exactly is it? Is it true that you’re a “special case”? Maybe you’re doing a Beachbody On Demand hybrid exercise (BOD).
Alternatively, you can mix Beachbody workouts with other activities like jogging, cycling, or triathlon training.
Maybe you’re just a cold-blooded renegade who wants to make your damn plans!
If that’s the case, it opens things up a bit, so if you’re looking for a nutrition plan, here are a few of our favorites, all of which can be found on BOD.
Diet Plans Using Portion-Control Containers by Beachbody
These programs are based on Beachbody’s Portion-Control Container System, a simple, hassle-free approach to eating the appropriate amount of food and getting results.
You can get them here if you want to do one of these projects but don’t have the containers yet.
Portion Fix shows you how to use our Portion-Control Containers for any training program, then continues the celebration with dressings, desserts (yes, you read that correctly), kitchen essentials, Shakeology, and seasonings recipes.
Also, you can combine many of the instructions listed below with the choose-your-own-workout calorie calculator.
Eating Plan for the 21-Day Fix
This container-based plan is ideal for those who are just starting.
The 21-Day Fix is a relatively “lax” eating plan that allows sweets and booze.
It also offers the “3 Day Quick Fix,” a more difficult 72-hour diet meant for temporary weight loss for a special occasion if you want to boost the ante.
Is this a good diet for me? The 21 Day Fix Eating Plan is for you to seek an easy approach to ease yourself into healthy eating.
EXTREME Eating Plan for the 21-Day Fix
The 21-Day Fix The general structure of EXTREME is similar to that of 21 Day Fix, but it tightens the reins considerably. This book includes two eating plans: EXTREME and Countdown to Competition.
Treats and alcohol are not allowed on the EXTREME Eating Plan, and the meal lists are more limited. Autumn Calabrese’s Countdown to Competition Plan grows increasingly bare-bones in the weeks leading to significant fitness events.
Is this a good diet for me? The 21 Day Fix EXTREME Eating Plan is a great long-term answer if you desire a super-clean diet. On the other hand, Countdown to Competition should only be used for a limited time.
Eating Plan for Vegans
It’s the 21-Day Fix, but with a plant-based twist! We changed the container system around for this eating plan to provide non-meat eaters more protein, specifically by separating grains and legumes, to assist you in receiving complete protein without eating soy 24 hours a day.
All animal products, of course, have been removed.
Is this a good diet for me? This is a plan worth considering whether you’re a committed vegan seeking to lose weight or you’re curious about going meat-free but don’t know how.
Many pieces (such as specific workouts and nutrition plans) are prepared for you in commercial diet or fitness programs like Beachbody. However, these initiatives come at a price that is frequently unsustainable. Do-it-yourself weight loss plans take more time and work to set up, but they can help you build a personalized plan that you can stick with for a longer period.
When it comes to weight loss and overall health, it’s more vital to consider your long-term wellness strategy than the short-term “after” picture. Concentrating on long-term weight management will assist you in developing a technique that works for you.
A program like Beachbody could be an excellent place to start your diet and fitness journey. Alternatively, you could go it alone. Reach out for help and use common sense to maintain your body healthy and well, regardless of the plan you choose. Before beginning a new fitness or nutrition program, it’s also a good idea to consult with your doctor.
Remember that following a long-term or short-term diet may not be necessary for you and that many diets, especially long-term diets, simply do not work. While we do not advocate for fad diets or unsustainable weight reduction approaches, we give the facts so you may make the best selection for your nutritional needs, genetic profile, budget, and goals.
If losing weight is your aim, keep in mind that being your healthiest self isn’t the same as losing weight, and there are many other ways to achieve health. Exercise, sleep, and other lifestyle choices all impact your overall health; that’s why the best diet is one that is well-balanced and appropriate for your lifestyle.