Top 10 Fruits to Boost Your Weight Loss
It is well known that all fruits have amazing positive effects on our health. Studies have shown that nutrition rich in fruits and vegetables may reduce the risk of some cancer types. Fruits and vegetables are the key sources of essential vitamins and minerals, fiber, and other crucial elements necessary for our health (1).
However, not all types of fruit are equally effective when it comes to boosting our weight loss. In general, fruit is very rich in fibers and contains small amounts of fat and calories. Some types of fruit contain more sugar, and some are richer in fibers. Fruit contains only natural sugars that are a great source of energy if you are on a diet.
How fruits are helpful in the weight loss process?
There are several reasons why fruits are our best companion on our weight loss journey. First of all, as we have already mentioned, fruits are rich in fibers, but also minerals, antioxidants, probiotics, and vitamins (2).
Secondly, it is important to emphasize that you should eat the whole fruit, not just drink its juice, as this is the way to get the best of it, including the beneficial fibers. Furthermore, it is a good idea to combine fruits with some nuts, as this will slow down the absorption of sugar.
Some types of fruit boost our weight loss through a very clever mechanism: it actually speeds up our metabolism. It is well-known that people with slow metabolism can’t easily lose weight. Additionally, fruit is an excellent substitute for unhealthy snacks. It will keep you feeling full and calm. During your diet, you must consume fruit strategically (2).
Let’s take a look at the top 10 fruits to boost your weight loss:
Apples are among the richest sources of fibers when it comes to the fruits. You should always eat apples with the peels, as that is where most of the fibers are hidden (3). Since apples are mostly sweet, they help you cope with your craving for sweets.
Thanks to the uric acid found in apple peel, this fruit is an excellent fat burning stimulator. You can consume it with an addition of organic cinnamon. In this way, apples will accelerate your metabolism and help you lose weight.
Recent studies have shown that apples are very rich in polyphenols. Polyphenols are compounds with strong anti-obesity effects (4). Furthermore, many studies have shown that regular apple consumption reduces obesity risks in children (5).
This fruit from the family of citruses cleans your blood and helps you burn fat. The best way to consume lemon is mixing lemon juice with an equal amount of warm water and drinking it each morning before breakfast. If you are on a diet, you can increase this dose, by repeating the procedure after lunch. This will keep your metabolism active throughout the day and help melt that excess fat.
Furthermore, lemon is well-known as a liver cleanser. A better liver function will benefit your whole organism and lead to a normalized fat-processing system. Fat inner organs are often the obstacle to losing weight.
A new study showed that a 4-day consumption of lemon and honey mixture is a safe and effective and method in reducing body weight, FM, BMI, and TSTG in healthy individuals. The scientists concluded that such a 4-day fasting diet is useful in the prevention of obesity and hypertriglyceridemia (6).
Another study done on overweight women reinforces these findings and concludes that lemon juice leads to a significant body fat reduction. Its mechanism is based on calorie restriction and detox effects (7).
Watermelon is the only fruit which is totally free of fat. Watermelon is rich in vitamins A, B complex, and C. It is interesting that watermelon, a fruit we often underestimate, is rich in lycopene, a pigment that helps prevent cancer. This fruit is perfect for regulating blood pressure and helping your body regain the energy.
When it comes to its benefits for losing weight, watermelon is your true companion. As it contains plenty of water (more than 90%) (8), watermelon is the best choice for filling your stomach and killing that urge to eat. Furthermore, this is an excellent diuretic. It contains only 20 calories per 100g.
It is recommended to consume watermelon in the morning before your breakfast and also between the meals. You should avoid mixing it with other meals if you want to lose weight. You should not remove the seeds because they are very healthy.
Grapefruit and/or Oranges
Grapefruit is an excellent companion against starvation and has a small number of calories. The same goes for oranges. If you eat an orange, you reduce the number of calories you have taken during the day and you keep your body hydrated. A large orange has only 100 calories. They are also excellent sources of energy and you should consume them if you plan to exercise.
Grapefruit is an ideal weight loss fruit. A recent study showed that only half of a fresh-cut grapefruit is enough to significantly promote your weight loss (9). It helps prevent fluid retention, cleans the body, protects the liver and breaks down fat. You can consume it in fresh form or make a fresh juice. If you don’t like the bitter taste, you can sweeten it with a little bit of organic honey.
When we say “berries”, we imply the majestic kingdom of antioxidants with marvelous smells, breathtaking looks, irresistible taste, and vivid colors. Those super-fruits include blueberries, raspberries, cranberries, blackberries, goji and acai berries, and strawberries.
Sometimes known as “the forest fruits”, berries stand out due to its extraordinary antioxidant feature and rich fiber content. They also contain a significant amount of anthocyanins. Scientists have proven that there is a strong correlation between berries, anthocyanin pigments, and weight loss (10).
This exotic fruit contains plenty of water and fiber. It is a low calorie, delicious fruit which helps your digestive system establish a regular protein digestion process (11). It is recommended to begin your day with a big portion of fresh papaya, or a couple of fresh papayas smashed in a blender together with some chia seeds. This will quickly suppress your appetite and provide important nutrients, such as vitamin C, folic acid, potassium, and vitamins A, E and K.
Kiwi is a rich source of vitamin C. It is a great source of fibers that help in suppressing appetite. It’s very good for digestion. Kiwi usually eliminates the constipation problem by facilitating digestion and increasing the metabolism rate. Kiwi is an excellent choice for your diet if you do not have diabetes.
This fruit is a very good option for accelerating your metabolism. It helps you burn the accumulated fat. You can combine it with different seeds, such as chia seeds which further reinforce your weight loss. Generally, it is an excellent choice for a healthy, balanced diet (12).
Avocado is rich in healthy fats, which boost the metabolism and production of testosterone. This hormone is responsible for losing weight in both men and women. Nutritionists recommend choosing fresh-cut avocado or avocado salad whenever you feel the need for a snack.
A recent study showed that there is a strong connection between avocado consumption and beneficial effects on diet quality, metabolism, and weight management (13).
Bananas are full of soluble fibers that help you feel full. You should enjoy bananas during your breakfast if you want to lose weight from your waist. Bananas are also very rich in soluble starch. It accelerates burning of fat. Bananas are also irreplaceable sources of energy. You can consume a banana before and after your training to ensure your body gets enough potassium.
A recent study has shown that bananas are an irreplaceable source of energy from the metabolomics point of view (14). Another study investigates the modes of use of milk and bananas in obesity treatment, which is a rather revolutionary approach (15).
Pineapple does not contain cholesterol and fat. It is very rich in essential nutrients, vitamins, fibers, minerals, and antioxidants. As it contains 85 percent of the water that helps keep our stomach full, it reduces the need for food, diminishes the feeling of anxiety and therefore helps in keeping a diet.
A very interesting study on the non-expected effects and ways in which pineapple benefits losing weight was conducted in FICCI Research and Analysis Centre in Delhi, India. The research showed that pineapple juice significantly improves pulmonary mechanics of obese patients.
This, consequently, leads to slow, but steady changes in their BMI. The research concluded that regular consumption of pineapple juice over the time period of 90 days leads to a consistent weight loss in severely obese patients with asthma, as one of the effects of improvements in their respiratory systems and strengthened lung functions (16).
Furthermore, another relatively recent study from Italy showed that consumption of fresh-cut pineapple represents a source of the lactic acid bacteria, a probiotic related to weight loss (17).
If you are coping with weight loss challenges, you should consider adding various fruit to your diet, namely apples, lemon, watermelon, grapefruit and oranges, berries, papaya, kiwi, avocado, pineapple, and last but not least, bananas. These fruits had been proven to have numerous beneficial effects on weight loss process, mostly related to accelerating and regulating the metabolism and burning fat.
Along with having these positive effects on weight loss, fruits are well-known sources of vitamins, minerals, and other valuable nutrients crucial for improving your immune system and providing energy for exercising.
Choosing fruit in your diet is always a wise decision!
(1) How to use fruits and vegetables to help manage your weight. Department of Health and Human Services Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Found online at https://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/nutrition/pdf/CDC_5-A-Day.pdf
(2) Eating Fruit Can Actually Help You Lose Weight. A Nutritionist Explains by Cynthia Sass. Published: February 5 2016. Found online at: https://www.health.com/weight-loss/best-fruits-for-weight-loss
(3) Your Ultimate High-Fiber Grocery List by Gina Shaw. Published on: February 2 2017. Found online at: https://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/features/fiber-groceries
(4) Weight Loss Associated With Consumption of Apples: A Review by Asgary S., Rastqar A., Keshvari M. Published on April 9 2018. J Am Coll Nutr. 2018 Sep-Oct;37(7):627-639. doi: 10.1080/07315724.2018.1447411. Epub 2018 Apr 9.Found online at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29630462
(5) Consumption of apples is associated with a better diet quality and reduced risk of obesity in children: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2003–2010 by Carol E. O’Neil, Theresa A. Nicklas, and Victor L. Fulgoni. Found online at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4443546/
(6) Does short-term lemon honey juice fasting have effect on lipid profile and body composition in healthy individuals? By Prashanth Shetty,a A. Mooventhan,b,∗ and Hongasandra Ramarao Nagendrac. Published in: J Ayurveda Integr Med. 2016 Mar; 7(1): 11–13. Published online 2016 May 18. doi: [10.1016/j.jaim.2016.03.001] Found online at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4910284/
(7) Effects of the lemon detox program on body fat reduction and detoxification in Korean overweight women (LB354) by Jung Hee Kim, Hye Bog Na, and Mi Joung Kim. Published in The FASEB Journal. Found online at: https://www.fasebj.org/doi/abs/10.1096/fasebj.28.1_supplement.lb354
(8) Is Watermelon Good for Losing Weight by ANndrea cespedes. Published on July 18, 2017. Found online at: https://www.livestrong.com/article/388322-is-watermelon-good-for-losing-weight/
(9) How to Lose Weight With Lemons, Limes, Oranges & Grapefruit Juice by Brynne Chandler. Published on: July 18, 2017. Found online at: https://www.livestrong.com/article/215640-how-to-lose-weight-with-lemons-limes-oranges-grapefruit-juice/
(10) Antiobesity Effects of Anthocyanins in Preclinical and Clinical Studies by Elena Azzini, Jasminka Giacometti, and Gian Luigi Russo. Published on: July 13 2017. Found online at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5530435/
(11) Is Papaya Good for You When You Want to Lose Weight by Jill Corleone. Published on June 12, 2018. Found online at: https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/papaya-good-want-lose-weight-11074.html
(12) The nutritional and health attributes of kiwifruit: a review by Richardson DP, Ansell J, Drummond LN. Published on: Feb 22 2018. Found online at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29470689
(13) Avocado consumption is associated with better diet quality and nutrient intake, and lower metabolic syndrome risk in US adults: results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2001–2008 by Victor L Fulgoni, III,1 Mark Dreher,2 and Adrienne J Davenport3 found online at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3545982/
(14) Bananas as an Energy Source during Exercise: A Metabolomics Approach by David C. Nieman, Nicholas D. Gillitt, Dru A. Henson, Wei Sha, R. Andrew Shanely, Amy M. Knab, Lynn Cialdella-Kam, and Fuxia Jin Found online at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3355124/
(15) A milk and banana diet for the treatment of obesity by George A. Harrop, M.D. Found online at: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/251054
(16) International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, Volume 5, Issue 1, January 2015 1 ISSN 2250-3153 www.ijsrp.org A Study on Nutritional Efficacy of Pineapple Juice in the Treatment of Bronchial Asthma by Dr.Sujata Pandit Sharma, Dr.Brajbhushan Found online at: http://www.ijsrp.org/research-paper-0115/ijsrp-p3743.pdf
(17) BioMed Research International Volume 2014, Article ID 309183, 9 pages. Fresh-Cut Pineapple as a New Carrier of Probiotic Lactic Acid Bacteria by Pasquale Russo, Maria Lucia Valeria de Chiara, Anna Vernile, Maria Luisa Amodio, Mattia Pia Arena, Vittorio Capozzi, Salvatore Massa, and Giuseppe Spano Found online at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/309183