How to Manage Hair Loss Due to Phentermine?
Have you discovered Phentermine and have started enjoying in its great weight loss effects? Are you satisfied with your results and want to keep losing those annoying body pounds? But perhaps you are around two to three months in your treatment with Phentermine as you start noticing your hair falling out. You notice a lot of hair coming out as you wash it or brush it.
Does this concern you? Well, it should! Hair loss during the treatment of Phentermine is a rare side-effect, and it is a sign that something is just not right. Luckily for you, we have dedicated today’s topic on answering any questions that you might have on the topic of hair loss during Phentermine.
Phentermine – the Beneficial Effects
The year was 1959 when Phentermine first hit the market. It did not take too long for the FDA (The Food and Drug Administration) to replace the so-called “rainbow drugs” that, until then, were used to manage the body weight of obese and overweight individuals. The problem was that the “rainbow drugs” have been reported to cause far too many serious side-effects. So the FDA was more than happy to replace them with the new star weight loss drug – Phentermine (1)!
Today, Phentermine is the most popular weight loss drug available in the United States. One would require a doctor’s prescription in order to get their own bottle of Phentermine pills. So the doctor is to decide whether or not Phentermine can be used in your case. Phentermine is only prescribed to individuals whose BMI (Body Mass Index) is higher than 30, which means that only overweight and obese patients are allowed to use the beneficial effects of Phentermine (2).
Phentermine is only meant to be used in combination with a calorie deficit, a well-balanced, healthy diet, and lots of regular exercises. Otherwise, the beneficial effects of Phentermine are not expected to develop. What Phentermine actually does, is reducing your appetite and boosting your energy levels. So by taking Phentermine, you are able to follow the chosen diet better as your hunger reduces, and your energy is high, so you are able to spend an hour or two exercising at the gym or at home (3).
Is it safe to use Phentermine?
Phentermine is considered generally, safe to be used. However, as with any drug, there are certain side-effects that should be expected. These most common potential side-effects are:
- Digestive problems – constipation and diarrhea
- Dry mouth
- Weight gain
It is important to remember that these side-effects usually occur when the prescribed dosage is not respected. As long as you follow the instructions given by your doctor, no serious side-effects should be expected to develop (4).
The most serious side-effect of Phentermine is an addiction. Unfortunately, Phentermine has a pretty addictive nature, when it has been either abused or misused (5). Addiction and withdrawal symptoms are expected to develop after the use of Phentermine has been discontinued. This is the reason why Phentermine is only used for a short period of time only, as to avoid any risk of addiction after the treatment has been discontinued. In most cases, Phentermine is used for a maximum of 12 weeks or 3 months. In some cases, it can be used for a shorter period of time than that. And in some cases, it can be used longer than three months, but only after a pause has been made in between.
How to use Phentermine for the best results?
We alert all Phentermine users to stick closely to the prescribed dosage and to not interfere with it on their own. Any increase or decrease in the dosage on your own will only expose you to the risks of the potential side-effects. If you experience any of the previously mentioned side-effects, please consult your doctor as soon as possible.
For the best possible results, make sure that you have chosen a well-balanced diet along with an exercise plan for the next couple of weeks, as long as your treatment with Phentermine lasts. That is the only way to gain the most out of your experience with Phentermine. Phentermine is not a magic drug, and the weight loss process with it requires a lot of time and dedication.
Hair loss due to Phentermine use
A lot of drugs, including antibiotics, anti-clotting drugs, immunosuppressants, blood pressure medications, etc. are known to cause hair loss, as a common side-effect (6). Phentermine as well has been linked to hair loss in some cases. This, however, is quite the uncommon side-effect of Phentermine. But let’s look at how Phentermine and hair loss might be linked.
Although it is still not clear what exactly causes hair loss among the Phentermine users, it is known that this side-effect has occurred so far. It has been suggested that the hair loss that happens during the treatment with Phentermine might happen due to the calorie restriction and the changed diet. Some patients might think that eliminating as many calories as possible from their diet will help them achieve the goal of losing weight with Phentermine faster. And although you might experience weight loss a lot faster that way, it is important to keep in mind that by doing so, you are exposing your body to great health risks, including hair loss (7).
Most users who have experienced hair loss due to Phentermine, report the first symptoms around three months into their treatment with this drug. It is unknown how long can this side-effect be present, although, it is expected to last during the whole treatment with Phentermine and as long as the weight loss process lasts as well. Most patients report experiencing loss of hair in which the hair is coming from the root. This especially happens while brushing and washing your hair.
On the other hand, if you notice as your hair becomes brittle and starts breaking away altogether, that might be a sign that an underlying medical condition is causing your hair loss. One good example would be hypothyroidism – a condition in which your thyroid gland does not produce the needed levels of thyroid hormones. Whatever is the case, if you do notice hair loss during your treatment with Phentermine, it is essential to contact your doctor as soon as possible. Only he/she will be able to share his/her professional opinion on the matter!
Tips of managing hair loss during the treatment with Phentermine
If you do experience hair loss during your treatment with Phentermine, it is important not to lose all hope. There are several tips and tricks that we are about to tell you that you can benefit from during this experience (8). All of the following tips will help you fight hair loss and prevent it in the near future as well.
- Eat plenty of protein – You might think that eliminating protein from your diet will help you lose weight faster. That is a big myth that you must stop believing in. Protein is an important nutrient which keeps your body functioning as it should. Protein is also the building block in your hair, so if you are interested in putting a stop to the hair loss process, you have to consider taking more protein through your diet. Some great sources are eggs, chicken, fish, milk, cheese, yogurt, beans, etc. And if you are a vegan/vegetarian, you can use soy, chickpeas, lentils, yeast, hemp seeds, and many other great vegan protein sources.
- Do not forget about Omega-3 fatty acids – The Omega-3 fatty acids are vital for maintaining your heart pressure, reducing cholesterol and triglycerides, reducing the risk of heart attack and stroke, but also keeping your hair healthy and strong. Use fish, avocado, chia seeds, walnuts, flaxseeds, etc. to get your daily requirements of Omega-3 fatty acids. And if you are worried that you do not intake enough, you can always use a quality Omega-3 supplement.
- Get all the vitamins – Make sure that you are introducing enough vitamins through your diet and supplementation to maintain your body healthy at all times. But when you are struggling with hair loss, especially during your treatment with Phentermine, it is important to make sure that you intake enough Vitamin A, Vitamin B, and Vitamin E. Although a great multivitamin can offer to satisfy the daily requirements of these vitamins, consider the following food choices – citrus fruits, broccoli, strawberries, spinach, seeds, nuts, beans, avocado, etc.
- Intake Vitamin D – Now Vitamin D deserves to be talked about separately from the other vitamins. That is because of Vitamin D being able to stimulate the hair follicles and cause hair growth. Any Vitamin D deficiency can lead to hair loss as well. So many uses that you add some of the great sources of Vitamin D to your diet including fatty fish, egg yolks, cheese, beef, and many others.
- Manage your stress – When you are trying to lose weight, it is understandable to be under a lot of stress. However, stress it might be what is causing your hair loss in the first place. Make sure that you get enough rest, sleep well, and use meditation and yoga as the best stress-managing techniques. When you are under a lot of stress, you are at the risk of binge eating and other eating disorders, which not only will they affect your weight loss process, but also your general mental and physical health.
- Keep hydrated at all times – Drinking enough water through the day will help your weight loss process, keep your body and mind healthy, and keep you away from weight loss. Hydration is essential for each and every body cell, including the ones that are responsible for maintaining your hair strong and healthy. If you are not drinking enough water, you are exposing yourself to the risk of dehydration which will eventually lead to hair loss.
- Do not use any harsh chemicals on your hair and skin – Your hair loss might be caused by the harsh chemicals that are to be found in your hair care products. Add an unhealthy diet to that, and it is quite easy for that to turn in rapid hair loss. Go through your haircare and skincare products and make sure that they do not contain any harsh chemicals in them.
Losing that extra body weight is not a difficult process, well not when you have all the right tricks up your sleeve. The greatest trick of them all is using Phentermine of course! The best weight loss drug will help you suppress your appetite, boost your energy and lose weight fast and efficiently. But if you do not follow the given instructions you are exposing yourself to some great side-effects, one of which can be hair loss.
If you experience hair loss during your treatment with Phentermine, you might want to think about talking to your doctor. Well, that and using these great tips and tricks that we have offered in today’s article. You can easily reverse the process of hair loss if you act smart and fast, so do not hesitate!